Thursday, March 6, 2014

Priorities

It's something people say a lot: "Get your priorities straight!" But how does that apply to me, as a Christian? I've always thought of it as, planning my days so I can use every second of time productively and responsibly. And while, of course, that's a good thing, I've been thinking about it more deeply lately. If our purpose, as humans on earth, is ultimately to glorify God, then doing just that should be our number one priority. That means, that throughout every second of every day, I need to organize my thoughts, words, and deeds not around whatever "important" thing needs to be done, but around that priority which should be first in my mind -- His glory. Instead of studying for a test because I want to get a good grade, get a good GPA, get college credits, get a high-paying job, get a big house, etc., I should be studying for a test because glorifying God calls for 1) Obeying my mother's command to study, and 2) Being a good steward of what is given me (e.g., time, education.)

Ultimately, all my priorities should center around the top one, and if I have a priority which doesn't fall in line with that (like playing Clash of Clans instead of studying), then it should not be a priority, and I need to drop it.

No comments:

Post a Comment